If it sounds too good to be true...

News you can use about the Oklahoma Children's Acting Guild

If it sounds too good to be true...

Postby Regina on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:49 am

I heard about some auditions recently in OKC, but decided against putting it on the board. Some things sound too good to be true!

This came off the KFOR website, in regards to those auditions...

BRAD EDWARDS REPORTING

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Hundreds of Oklahomans took their kids to an acting audition at the Civic Center over the past weekend. There was talk of parts in Nickelodeon and Disney productions. Now some think they were hoodwinked and on "In Your Corner," they asked Brad Edwards to examine this great offer.
That commercial sounded exciting to hundreds of parents who took their kids to the audition for John Robert Powers, a company that trains actors for the Morgan Agency that represents big name Hollywood clients.
In hearing the well known names of Disney and Nickelodeon, Rebecca Funa of Yukon took her 11-year-old daughter to try out for a part. She says they dropped names everywhere of big stars they claimed they had helped.
The audition involved reading a short script, being photographed, and filling out papers, but the next day Rebecca Funa waited for the call back and it came.
"Well, at that point I was excited. They said that she was one of 38 out of 400 that they picked and I was like ‘wow that's fantastic,’" Rebecca says.
The interesting item was that Rebecca knew parents of five other kids that auditioned and they were also called.
"And they did the exact same spiel, the exact same thing with every child that we knew that attended that same audition," Rebecca says.
Did everyone win? Viewers who attended the audition told me they were all told the same thing, that their child was one of 38 out of 400 who made the cut. However, they said the kids could use some audition lessons, which they would be glad to provide.
The parents claimed that was the hook. The kids had to attend the John Robert Powers classes and pay for it.
Amy, another mom whose child was picked, was skeptical that the audition was on Sunday and over night the talent agents for Nickelodeon and Disney had gone through hundreds of audition tapes and picked her little girl. They wanted Amy to sign up for their school right away.
The woman with the Powers organization said, "It does cost for the class.”
I said okay, what do I need to do, what is it?” Amy replied. “She was like; its $450 up front and I said ‘okay when would I need to have that?’”
“Well, you'd have to have that today," she said.
The parents would pay a total of $3000 for five classes.
All this happened over night and Amy declined.
Is that how it really works, you get picked at an audition then corralled into their school for thousands of dollars?
I asked Jill Simpson, Director the Oklahoma Film Commission, who has experience working in casting in Los Angeles. She says normally casting directors or talent agents don't charge you.
"The way it works is, if you do secure representation, they make their money by representing you and getting you jobs and they collect a fee which is usually a percentage of what you get for the job," Ms. Simpson says.
There are plenty of groups traveling from city to city claiming to be you or your child’s key to Hollywood fame and fortune.
Simpson says there are local talent agents right here in Oklahoma you can deal with for free.
I'm Brad Edwards in your corner.
Brad talked with the director of the Powers school by phone.
They feel their advertising is not misleading and that the people should have known about the school and its costs because it was in the paperwork given out after people got to the audition.
They admit they are not licensed to run a private school in Oklahoma and are calling it a workshop.
Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Click here
Regina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby the music man on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:03 pm

that's interesting.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian. . . . . .
the music man
Super Duper Star
Super Duper Star

Postby ocagchick_randi on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:17 pm

wow , I would DIE if that happened for me , I get sooo exited when I get a callback , I think I would agree to ANYTHING , those poor people :sad:
Next Tuttle Idol...hopefuly
ocagchick_randi
Macaulay Culkin's One Phone Call
Macaulay Culkin's One Phone Call

I'm glad that.....

Postby Marissa on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:35 pm

we have Regina to screen things for us. Like she said, if something sounds too good to be true it is a lot of times.

What he said is (naturally) very true. All you should ever have to pay in regards to a talent agency is to have photographs done. If they ask for anything else, be careful!!!!!

8-)
Marissa 8-)

"We will go to the Moon...not because it is easy but because it is hard." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard, is what makes it great." - A League Of Their Own.

The natural condition of the theatre business is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster. However, as strange and unbelievable as it sounds, it always turns out well. No one knows why this is. It’s a mystery.
Marissa
Artistic Director
Artistic Director

Postby the music man on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:08 pm

why is your signature so big, and annoying?

Please explain.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian. . . . . .
the music man
Super Duper Star
Super Duper Star

Postby Regina on Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:55 pm

the music man wrote:why is your signature so big, and annoying?

Please explain.

Who is this post directed at?!?
Regina
Site Admin
Site Admin

i did this

Postby bailey on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:41 pm

i auditioned for this and i got it, i was one of the 38 like the article, but i was also one of the 4 they selected for their master classes and it has been sooooooooo great! ive learned so much and in a month we are meeting with a casting director!wooooooo! i am soo glad i did it
<3baileybell
bailey

Postby adam on Mon May 01, 2006 6:31 am

thats cool
adam
'True Hollywood Story' Subject
'True Hollywood Story' Subject

Postby mickster on Mon May 01, 2006 2:33 pm

adam wrote:thats cool

OH My, Adam,, You're up at the crack-o-dawn...Gimme 5 dude...
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...
mickster
Minor Role Actor
Minor Role Actor

Postby mickster on Mon May 01, 2006 2:35 pm

Regina wrote:
the music man wrote:why is your signature so big, and annoying?

Please explain.

Who is this post directed at?!?

I'm not sure but I don't think it was directed at you, Regina... Especially since it followed Marissa's post!!! JMO though...
mickster
Minor Role Actor
Minor Role Actor

Postby Randi's Mom - Rhonda on Mon May 01, 2006 3:24 pm

It was directed at Randi's signature line, when it was HUGE!!! She has since shown us all some mercy and make it small again.
Randi's Mom - Rhonda
Bit Actor
Bit Actor

Postby mickster on Mon May 01, 2006 4:01 pm

OH! My Bad, Sorry Marissa....
mickster
Minor Role Actor
Minor Role Actor

Postby Regina on Mon May 01, 2006 4:53 pm

It's hard to tell. Originally I thought it might be directed at Randi's, since it was posted back when she had the big Broadway scene on her signature line.

I do like your new signature line!
Regina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Regina on Mon May 01, 2006 5:19 pm

Regina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mickster on Wed May 03, 2006 11:08 am

Regina wrote:I do like your new signature line!

Thanks. Too bad I couldn't come up with it on my own... :-?
mickster
Minor Role Actor
Minor Role Actor

Next

Return to OCAG News