The answers and results of the Tony Award Winning Quiz.

Think you know Broadway? Test your skills right here.

The answers and results of the Tony Award Winning Quiz.

Postby Marissa on Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:55 pm

Okay All.

First question - Is Marissa annoyed that only FIVE people participated in this quiz? The answer is YES.

Second question - Will Marissa put other quizzes on the board so that everyone else can make it up to her? The answer is YES.

Third question - Will Marissa start cracking skulls if more people don’t participate in future quizzes? The answer is Yes.

Fourth question - Did Marissa find every single one of the questions and answers online and was the quiz “open book” so that the answers could be looked up by ANYONE? The answer is Yes. Marissa doesn’t know that much more about the Tony Awards then most of the people in OCAG. She knew roughly a third of the answers already but looked up all of them just to make sure her information was correct.

Fifth question - Do nominees of Tony Awards receive anything if they don’t win the Tony? The answer is Yes, all nominees receive certificates.

Sixth question - Does that mean that everyone who participated in Marissa’s Tony Award Winning Quiz will receive something? The answer is Yes.

Okay here we go. Many of the questions in the quiz were worth more than 1 point. Let’s go though - question and by question - and see what there is to see. Questions are red, answers are blue and explanations/point counters are green.

Oh, and as you can and will see, this sucker took a long time to type and even longer to figure out the points worth on each question. So, if you see a typo here or there mention it to me, not. If you see a mistake in arithmetic again, say nothing unless it changes the final scores enough to make a difference in the final awards won.

1. Who is the Tony Award named for? How many Tony Awards did that person win?

Mary Antoinette Perry. She didn’t win any Tony Awards. She died in 1946 and her loss was so deeply felt on Broadway that a permanent memorial for her was thought to be the only appropriate eulogy for her.

This was worth three points. One point for how many Tony Awards she won and then two points for her name. If you left off the "Mary" then you got one point for her name.

2. The Tony Award celebrates achievement in live American Theatre. How many equivalent awards are there besides the Tony Award? Name them. What are they awards for?

There are three. They are the Oscar Award, the Grammy Award and the Emmy Award. The Oscar Award is the most prominent film award in the United States. The Grammy Award is presented for outstanding achievements in the United States recording industry. The Emmy Award is the United States television production award and is mostly focused on entertainment.

This was worth seven points. One for telling me how many there are, three for naming them and three more for explaining what they are awards for.

3. Has anyone ever won a Tony Award as well as all of the equivalent awards? If so, name that person or persons.

Yes. There are twelve. They are: Mel Brooks, John Gielgud, Marvin Hamlisch, Helen Hayes, Audrey Hepburn, Rita Moreno, Mike Nichols, Jonathan Tunick, Richard Rodgers, Barbara Streisand, Liza Minnelli and Whoopi Goldberg.

This one is worth thirteen points. One for answering "yes" and then one point for each person correctly named. Yes, the last three are "different" but I decided they still counted.

4. Does a show have to be on Broadway to be eligible for Tony Awards?

Yes.

One answer, one point.

5. When does a show have to be playing in order to be eligible for Tony Awards?

The show must be playing (or have been played at some time) on Broadway, during the season in question.

Again, one point.

6. Does a show have to be currently open to be eligible for Tony Awards?

No.

What do you know? One point again.

7. When talking about Tony Awards, what does a “new” play or musical mean?

It’s one that has not previously been produced on Broadway. Shows recently transferred from off Broadway or from London Theaters are eligible as new; so are productions based closely on movies.

This one was worth two points. The more information I got the more points you got.

8. What year was the first live American Theatre production performed on Broadway? What was the production?

Okay. This one we had some confusion on. I THOUGHT the answer was Richard III which was performed in New York in 1750. It was performed in New York but on Nassau Street, NOT on Broadway. I would have taken Richard III in 1750 as correct if anyone had guessed that but no one did. Three people attempted to answer this question. One child and two adults. I'm going with the answer that both the adults gave me. So, the answer is: Black Crook - performed in 1866.

Worth two points.

9. What year was the Tony Award founded?

One point.

10. What did the Tony Awards given that first year look like? Have there been any changes to the Tony Award since then? If so, tell me about them.

That first year there was no actual “Award” per se. Until 1949, the winners were presented with a scroll as well as (either) a cigarette lighter, a money clip or a compact. In 1949, the Tony Award was designed. The Tony Award has the Comedy and Tragedy Masks on one side and the profile of Mary Antoinette Perry on the other side. Until 1967, it was a medallion that was worn around the winner’s neck. In 1967 the medallion was mounted on a black pedestal with a curved armature.

Worth eight points. Scroll, cigarette lighter, money clip and compact each received one point. Telling me what it looked like and what year it was created got two points. Telling me of the changes in 1967 and what those changes were got two points.

11. There were 25 Tony Award categories in 2005. Name as many as you can.

Tony Award for Best Play.
Tony Award for Best Musical.
Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical.
Tony Award for Best Original Score.
Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play.
Tony Award for Best Revival of a Musical.
Tony Award for Best Theatrical Effect.
Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play.
Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play.
Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical.
Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical.
Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play.
Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play.
Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical.
Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical.
Tony Award for Best Scenic Design in a Play.
Tony Award for Best Scenic Design in a Musical.
Tony Award for Best Costume Design in a Play.
Tony Award for Best Costume Design in a Musical.
Tony Award for Best Lighting Design in a Play.
Tony Award for Best Lighting Design in a Musical.
Tony Award for Best Direction of a Play.
Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical.
Tony Award for Best Choreography.
Tony Award for Best Orchestrations.

Worth 25 points. One for each correct category.

12. There were 3 Tony Award Special Categories in 2005. Name as many as you can.

Regional Theatre Tony Award.
Tony Honors for Excellence in Theatre (in categories not otherwise covered).
Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre.

Worth three points.

13. There are 8 (that Marissa knows of) Tony Award Categories that have been used in the past but not in 2005. Name as many as you can.

Tony Award for Best Revival.
Tony Award for Best Director.
Tony Award for Best Conductor and Musical Director.
Tony Award for Best Performance By Newcomers.
Tony Award for Best Stage Technician.
Tony Award for Best Composer and Lyricist.
Tony Award for Best Producer of a Play.
Tony Award for Best Producer of a Musical.

Worth eight points.

14. In 2006 a new Tony Award Category is being added. What it is? What does it mean?

Tony Award for Best Recreation of a Leading Role by an Actor/Actress. This Category basically is for actors and actresses who were cast as replacements and joined a long-running show after its official opening and would not have otherwise had the chance to be recognized for a potentially Tony-worthy performance.

Worth two points. One for each specific question.

15. There are no Tony Award Categories for two specific elements in the Theatre. These missing Categories have made the theatre community unhappy in the past. What are those?

Best Sound Design and Best Ensemble in a Play or Musical.

Worth two points.

16. The Producers received a record 15 Tony nominations in 2001. How many did it actually win?

Worth one point.

17. Who was the first African American woman to win the Tony for the Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play?

Phylicia Rashad

Worth one point.

18. What musical won a Tony Award for Best Musical and then was made into a film that won an Academy Award as Best Picture?

The Sound of Music

Worth one point.

19. The 1997 revival of the musical Chicago won six Tony Awards. How many did the original production win?

Worth one point.

20. Did the current show we’re working on (Hello, Dolly!) win any Tony Awards? If so, how many? What years? What categories? Who won?

Yes. It won 10. The years, categories and winners were:
1964 Tony Award for Best Musical.
1964 Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play - Carol Channing.
1964 Tony Award for Best Author (Book of a Musical) - Michael Stewart.
1964 Tony Award for Best Choreographer - Gower Champion.
1964 Tony Award for Best Composer and Lyricist - Jerry Herman.
1964 Tony Award for Best Conductor and Musical Director - Shepard Coleman.
1964 Tony Award for Best Costume Designer - Freddie Wittop.
1964 Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical - Gower Champion.
1964 Tony Award for Best Producer of a Musical - David Merrick.
1964 Tony Award for Best Scenic Designer - Oliver Smith.

Okay. This was worth 22 points overall. One point for the answer "yes" and one point for telling me there were ten. Naming the year of 1964 got you another point. Naming each category won got you ten points each and naming the person who received the award for each category got you 9 points (Best Musical isn't to one specific person per se).

21. Was the current show we’re working on (Hello, Dolly!) nominated for any Tony Awards that it didn’t win? If so, how many? What categories? Who was nominated?

Yes. There have been 3. The years, categories and nominees were:
1996 Tony Nominee for Best Revival of a Musical.
1978 Tony Nominee for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play - Eddie Bracken (Horace Vandergelder).
1964 Tony Nominee for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical - Charles Nelson Reilly (Cornelius Hackel).

Okay, 10 points. I didn't ask for the year but if you gave it then you got three points (if you named all three years). One point is for answering "yes" and one more is for being able to tell me that there were three. Three points more total if you told me what categories there were and two points for telling me the names of the two people who were nominated.

22. The Oklahoma Children’s Acting Guild has produced Babes In Arms, Oklahoma! and Cinderella. Marissa directed Li’l Abner in Tuttle as well. Have any of these musicals won a Tony Award? Have any of them been nominated for a Tony but didn’t win? If so, tell me about them supplying the same information given above.

Neither Babes in Arms, nor Cinderella were ever nominated for Tony Awards.

Li’l Abner, in 1957 won two Tony Awards and had one additional nomination. The Tony Awards won were for Best Actress in a Musical - Edith (Edie) Adams - Daisy Mae (the internet says in some places that she won for the Best Featured and some for Best Actress. So, on this one I’ll take either answer and either of her names.) and for Best Choreography - Michael Kidd. The additional nominee was for Costume Design - Alvin Colt.

Oklahoma! has won two Tony Awards and has been nominated an additional 8 times for Awards. One Tony Award was won in 1993. The 1993 win states “1993 Winner: Special Tony Award Oklahoma!--50th Anniversary.” The other Tony Award was won in 2002. The 2002 Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical was Shuler Hensley as Jud Fry. The additional 8 nominees with all information are below:
1980 Tony Nominee for Best Actress in a Musical - Christine Andreas (Laurie).
1980 Tony Nominee for Best Featured Actor in a Musical - Harry Groener (Will Parker).
2002 Tony Nominee for Best Actor in a Musical - Patrick Wilson (Curly).
2002 Tony Nominee for Best Featured Actress in a Musical - Andrea Martin (Aunt Eller).
2002 Tony Nominee for Best Choreography - Susan Stroman.
2002 Tony Nominee for Best Direction of a Musical - Trevor Nunn.
2002 Tony Nominee for Best Lighting Design in a Musical - David Hersey.
2002 Tony Nominee for Best Revival of a Musical.

Okay. If you told me that Babes in Arms and Cinderella had never been nominated then you got two points. If you told me that Li’l Abner and Oklahoma! had been nominated then you got two more points. If you told me that Li’l Abner’s “Tony Activity” was all in 1957 you got another point. If you told me that two Tony Awards had been won and that one had been nominated you got another three points. If you told me what categories were involved you got three points. If you told me the people who had been nominated for the three categories then you got three more points. If you told me that Oklahoma! had won two Tony Awards and that there were eight other nominees then you got ten points. If you told me the different years that it had “Tony Activity” then you got three points (one for each year you named). If you told me each category then you got an additional ten points. If you told me each individual’s name then you got eight points. So a total of 45 points were possible for this one question.

23. A movie was made of the current show we’re working on (Hello, Dolly!). Since we’re talking about a movie we know it didn’t win any Tony Awards. However, did it win an equivalent award? If so, tell me about it.

The movie Hello, Dolly! won three Oscars in 1970. They were for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Music, Score of a Musical Picture (Original or Adaptation) and Best Sound.

It was nominated for four other Oscars. They were for Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design, Best Film Editing and Best Picture.

If you said "yes" it won an equivalent award you got one point. Saying 1970 gave you another point. Telling me what each category was (for both wins and nominations) got you seven points. So a total of nine were possible on this one.

Okay. Overall there were a total of 169 points for this little quiz. Let's see how you did.....

Five of you participated. I will bestow great gifts and affection to you. All other people....thanks for nothing!

Logan had a total of 2 points.
Adam had a total of 12 points.
Randi had a total of 120 points.
Rhonda had a total of 147 points.
Regina had a total of 158 points (she swears that she never opened the email and has invited all of OCAG to come to her home where they can look at her computer and see that the email was never opened).

Therefore, the winners are......

Regina for Best Supporting Actress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam for Best Featured Actor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....and (drum roll please)

Randi for Best Actress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So again (at least with our Best Featured Actor Award) it's not that those who win know all that much or even try that hard. It's that they have no competition. Nothing against you Adam...again I'm really glad that you (and the other four) played at all.

I would like to thank Regina for being my only blood relative to play the game.

I plan for all five participants to get their participation award when I next see them. The three winner awards aren't finished yet. I will give them to you as soon as I have them.

BLACK OUT.

8-)
Marissa 8-)

"We will go to the Moon...not because it is easy but because it is hard." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard, is what makes it great." - A League Of Their Own.

The natural condition of the theatre business is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster. However, as strange and unbelievable as it sounds, it always turns out well. No one knows why this is. It’s a mystery.
Marissa
Artistic Director
Artistic Director

The Quiz

Postby chrismom on Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:27 am

We finished the first question and plan to do the rest but while reading the bio on Antionette Perry we had to stop and look up the following words: impresario, melodrama, aspirations, flamboyant, siren, novice, despot, deft, philanthropist, inveterate, avid, cynical, stellar, dictum. I asked Chris if he knew what a "stereotypical role" would be and he asked if that would be where the actor has to use microphones. We had to look up history on USO tours.

There is just so much interesting information that it takes a lot of time to get through it. Also, Best Buy can't seem to fix Chris' computer and he has been without it for weeks. He has to use mine and I can't just turn him loose on it.

Plus we are trying to finish up a free 20-lesson online course on The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" and that also involves looking up a lot of info and vocabulary online.

We do like this kind of thing and we hope you will continue it. I think it is very educational.
Strive to be the best you can be. Don't settle for mediocrity.
chrismom

Postby Marissa on Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:30 pm

I think that I'll give Chris a participation award as well. I might give you one too Lori. 8-)

From now on the quizzes will probably be a bit shorter and simpler. I'm thinking that I'll put quizzes on about specific shows. Maybe one show at a time.

Think of the Tony Quiz as a crash course.

:pinkbluemasks:
Marissa 8-)

"We will go to the Moon...not because it is easy but because it is hard." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard, is what makes it great." - A League Of Their Own.

The natural condition of the theatre business is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster. However, as strange and unbelievable as it sounds, it always turns out well. No one knows why this is. It’s a mystery.
Marissa
Artistic Director
Artistic Director

Postby ocagchick_randi on Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:36 pm

heheheheh I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I win
I win
I win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Next Tuttle Idol...hopefuly
ocagchick_randi
Macaulay Culkin's One Phone Call

Postby adam on Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:39 pm

:cutewink: :D 8)
adam
'True Hollywood Story' Subject

Postby ocagchick_randi on Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:54 pm

:? :? :?
ocagchick_randi

Postby Sicky on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:09 pm

Are we ever going to get a new quiz on here? I thought you were like insane about the quiz turnout or something. I really wanna beat Randi and then laugh in her face..... 8)
OBEY MY RABBIT AND MY NINJA!!! :ninja:
VOTE IN MY POLLS!!! :shock:
Image :kneelsuckers: Image
:elephant: Willis, don't be jealous... :elephant:
Sicky

Postby Marissa on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:20 pm

Krislyn wrote:Are we ever going to get a new quiz on here? I thought you were like insane about the quiz turnout or something. I really wanna beat Randi and then laugh in her face..... 8)

I will soon. I actually came up with a good idea for a quiz just today. Stay tuned.

8-)
Marissa 8-)

Marissa
Artistic Director
Artistic Director

Postby ocagchick_randi on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:50 pm

question !!!!!!!!!!! whan will I get my prise????
ocagchick_randi

Postby adam on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:54 pm

yeah me too
adam

Postby ocagchick_randi on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:37 pm

is it an extra line for Randi????? if not ....it should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ocagchick_randi

Postby the music man on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:06 pm

randi you get no more lines. you're lines already move the show along.

(hehehehe making fun of you) you don't need anymore.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian. . . . . .
the music man
Super Duper Star
Super Duper Star

Postby Sicky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:11 am

Holy Cabooses!
OBEY MY RABBIT AND MY NINJA!!! :ninja:
VOTE IN MY POLLS!!! :shock:
Image :kneelsuckers: Image
:elephant: Willis, don't be jealous... :elephant:
Sicky

Postby ocagchick_randi on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:23 am

^^^^ that is what 99.9% of kevins lines are so just shut your face Kevin!!!!!

now about the more lines for Randi :smile: ........
ocagchick_randi

Postby the music man on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:08 pm

i don't want to hear it randi!!! your lines are mainly you coming out of the workroom, giggling, and then running in a circle and then going back in the workroom. at least i'm out on stage once in a while.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian. . . . . .
the music man
Super Duper Star
Super Duper Star

Next

Return to Quiz quadrant